Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Bread Baking Day 2012

And yes today is World Bread Day, an event taken care of by Zorra. I didn't like to enter my 'Russian Rose' for this WBD, because the most fun in it (for me) that there are so many different kinds of breads entered. Therefor I baked a different bread for this occasion, which is one of my personal favorites. 

First of all it's a pullman loaf. I just love bread that comes out of this square pan, it just looks so cute. I still find it exciting when the lid is taken of and you see the loaf perfectly snugg in the corners with a golden colour. And apart from that easy to slice and fit into lunch boxes! 
Second it contains lots of seeds, not only for health, but I just love the taste of them. Next is the use of part white, part whole flour, so it's a bit lighter to eat. The dark colour is from both dark malt powder, malt syrup and a little carob powder. Some use carbo as a substitute for chocolate, so I you don't have it, you can also use cocoa powder. Carob is a bit more subtile and just give the lightest hint of chocolate goodness. Love it.  So there you have it one of my favorite home breads for this Bread Baking Day. Have fun baking and have a great World Bread Day! Thanks Zorra, I'm looking forward to the round up already.

Lien’s dark pullman loaf
(1 pullman loaf)
(PRINT recipe)
2 tsp dry yeast
400 g bread flour
200 g whole wheat flour
10 g salt
10 g carob powder
25 g dark malt powder
2 TBsp malt syrup
30 g vegetable oil
2 TBsp sesame seeds
2 TBsp poppy seeds
2 TBsp flax seeds
40 g almond flakes
40 g pumpkins seeds
40 g sunflower seeds
360 - 400 g water


A large pullman pan: 13" x 4" x 4" (33 cm x 11 cm x 11 cm)


Place all ingredients (not all the water at once) in the bowl of a stand mixer. Start kneading with the dough hook. Knead until the dough is supple.  Add enough water to make a dough that isn’t too wet, but may still be a little sticky.
Shape into a ball  and place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise until almost doubled. This takes about 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 220ºC.

Lightly grease your pullman pan. Shape the dough into a log that fits into the pan. Cover the pan (or just close with the greased lid) until it has risen to 4 cm under the rim. Place the bread in the oven with the lid closed (I like to place it directly on the stone) and bake for 20 minutes.

Lower the temperature to 200ºC and bake for another 15 minutes. Now take the lid off (carefull it’s hot!) and bake for another 5 minutes.
Invert the loaf on a wire rack and let it cool completely before slicing.


(recipe by Lien)

6 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I'd demand the recipe for this but you've already provided it ;-) This will put me back in my pullman pan.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Ah, but I do have a question...what size is your pullman loaf? ummm, I'll check my most successful pullman loaf and see how much flour it used. I know it helps to full the pan just so ... needs to fill it and not puff out as it rises.

Lien said...

I have a large pullman pan: 33 x 11 x 11 cm (13" x 4" x 4").

(Thanks Tanna that's a good question, I'll add it to the recipe!)

Elizabeth said...

I imagined that I was going to bake another kind of bread for World Day too. I bow to you for managing to plan ahead accordingly.

And how cool that you made this Pullman loaf. It looks perfect. And it looks delicious!

Karen Baking Soda said...

Wow!! I've been looking for a loaf pan like this in London these past few days. Never found it. (did find an angel food cake pan... didn't buy it ;-()
Looks great Lien, and yes this is one my kids would take to school as well.

zorra said...

I want such a pan immediately, too! Your loaf looks fantastic and I am with you, what I love about WBD is the grand variety of breads!

Thank you for baking for Word Bread Day . Hope - no I am sure - you will join next year again! ;-)