Sunday, April 10, 2011

Mellow Bakers in April

Another month, another display of the breads baked for the Mellow Bakers challenge (which is baking our way through the Jeffrey Hamleman's "Bread").
Pain au Levain. No problems. I've added a pinch of yeast to help the starter and reduce the sourness, which is a way that really works for me. Lovely crumb.

Pain au levain with whole wheat flour. Same here with a small percentage of whole wheat flour. Lovely bread and nice holes.

Pain au levain with mixed sourdough starters. And another version. This time without the pinch of yeast, because I had a very fresh and active starter at hand. For me using two different style sourdough starters doesn't add much.

Flax Bread. For this bread I used lightly crushed (broken) flaxseeds, it just was the only kind I had available. It took me about 30 minutes to bake 1 loaf. Very nice and healthy bread.

Last, but certainly not least, this Hazelnut and fig bread with fennel seeds and rosemary. A fantastic bread, with so much flavour from the fennel, rosemary and figs. Great combination. Will make this again, even though the kids keep picking out all the fennel seeds :).

And there they were for this month, see you again for the May breads.

5 comments:

Michelle Stiles said...

Great variety of breads. They all look wonderful!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Those last two look wonderful to me right now.

Melanie said...

Your breads are all so wonderful looking!!! I can't believe you did them all already. I'm getting ready to do the Pain au Levain and I was wondering when do you add the pinch of yeast? I'm considering doing that. Thanks, Lien!

Lien said...

Hi Melanie, I add the pinch of yeast when making the final dough. Good luck

NKP said...

Beautiful breads! I'm just deciding on which one to start tonight - getting caught up!
Yours are always so inspiring.