Friday, February 6, 2009

Announcement: Bread Baking Day #17

It's time again for the 17th edition of Bread Baking Day. A very popular event that originally was created by our lovely Zorra from "Kochtopf AKA 1x Umrühren bitte". I've participated lots of time, I just really love this event and this month I have the great honor to be the hostess. It's my first hosting job on the net ever, so this is a very exciting for me.

Last month there were some terrific breads baked with cheese and Temperance from "
High on the hog" did a wonderful job hosting that. Thanks a lot Temperance! Don't forget to check out the ROUND-UP she made, to get inspired and maybe bake some of the wonderful entries yourself.

This month it's all about: "BREAD AND POTATOES".

Potatoes are a great ingredient in bread. It's not only good for you with vitamins, minerals and fiber (if you use the skin too), it also makes your bread very moist and gives soft crumbs.

You can use mashed potatoes, dried potato flakes or powdered, potato flour, slices or chuncks of potato in your bread: roasted, cooked or steamed ..and add some potato water to make your bread extra moist and gives it a soft crumb. You can put the potatoes in your bread or on top. You can use all sorts of potatoes: waxy or fluffy ones and don't forget sweet potatoes.

Feel free to use potato water in your bread too, but just the water you boiled the potatoes in is not enough to participate, so please use some other form of the potato too. Every kind of bread is fine, panloaves, pizza, filled breads, baguettes, bread rolls.... you name it. Making bread with potatoes is also a great way to use up those 2 or three left over boiled potatoes from the night before.

Here are the details on how to enter:

  • Bake a bread of your choice with potatoes in the recipe, post about it on your blog and link back to this post.


  • Send the link from your post by email to: notitievanlien(at)gmail (dot)com


  • Put 'BBD #17' in the subject line of your mail


  • Include in the email: your name and location, your blog name and blog URL, name of your bread and post URL

  • attach a picture of your bread. (I will resize them, so send them any size you want)

  • You can write your post in English (preferred!), German, Dutch or Italian. But keep in mind that most readers will (only) understand English, so if you write your post in another language, it's highly appreciated if you include a translation in English as well, so more can enjoy your post.

  • Non-Bloggers can also participate. Send your recipe and a picture of your bread and some personal info (name, location), so I can include you in the round-up.

  • The deadline for submissions is March 1st, 2009.

  • and the round up should be up somewhere around 3 March.

Still need some inspiration?
There are lots of recipes on the internet, like some terrific ones from
King Arthur .
Or how about this
Potato Pizza Sullivan Street Potato Pizza (blz.156)or this wet dough potato breadpane di patate -dwars?




Enough said! Let's bake!




Good luck and I'm looking forward to all the entries.

23 comments:

Ilva said...

Lien, can I use potatoes plus something else too?Like two ingredients that you usually don't use in bread if you know what I mean.

Lien said...

Sure Ilva, let your imagination go wild, as long as there are potatoes in it as well I'm happy ;-)

Finla said...

I have nevr made bread with potatoes, this will be a good opourtunity to try and make one.

natalia said...

Ciao Lien ! This is a great idea !!!

NKP said...

Yes! This sounds like fun, I have never made a bread with potatoes either. Time to get out the books.. :)

Sunshinemom said...

This seems right up my alley:) Couldn't participate last time!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to this one!

Anonymous said...

Oh yay!!! I already know which one I will make! I've been longing for a chance to bake it for quite a while and this is perfect!
Happy Hosting!

Anonymous said...

Wow, never even thought of this. Een echte uitdaging. Thanks for hosting :-)
Isis

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

On my calendar now.

Jude said...

Great theme Lien! I know exactly what I'm going to make :)

Cindystar said...

hi Lien!
I love BBD so much that I'm always longing which new theme will be hosted and this is perfect, potatoes truly give "something more" to our breads!
See you soon, have a nice w-end!

Anonymous said...

U have a lovely blog here! Awesome collection. Let me see if I can make something by the deadline.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, I was sent here by the lovely Astrid. This sounds like fun! I'm game!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic choice!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

This is an interesting theme. And I have something I make often. I just need to post it. I will do it soon.:)

IDania said...

Hi Lien,
Count me in... I've never made (or heard) of bread and potatoes, but it sounds good. At home we love bread and we love potatotes, so, we'll see what comes out and how does it come out!!!.
Tchs,
IDania

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Hi, I just sent you my entry.

Poornima Nair said...

Hey Lien...just sent the entry..

Anonymous said...

Lien, Just send in my entry.

görel said...

Hi Lien, does the bread have to be savoury, or the bread that you make sandwiches of? If not, I have a very nice Swedish cake ... no?

Lien said...

Hi Görel, No it can be savory, sweet, or neutral, it's fine by me. But as it's BREAD baking day, I guess it has to be bread of some sort. If you can call it a quick bread.... you're in ;-))

James said...

I believe I am addicted to Bread Baking Day events, thanks to Zorra. No matter how busy my schedule is, I seem to find time to bake bread. This month, Rachel, of Tangerine's Kitchen, is the hostess, choosing multigrain breads as her theme.