Saturday, January 16, 2016

Bread and cheese.. a great Bread Baking Babes combo

Our diverse Indian babe Aparna ("My Diverse Kitchen") introduced us to these cute boat shaped breads filled with cheese and egg. I'd to hurry and het them baked, photographed and posted, because it's been hectic again this month. But I'm glad I baked it, it's delicious and very easy to make.

It's not a huge recipe, so that is well adapted for us because our 2 kids don't like cheese. Aparna gave the idea to top the bread with tomatoes and I did. I didn't use an egg, because I don't like eggs on pizza's either, and the tomato cuts through the richness of the cheese. The recipe below is how I baked it, for the original BBB version check out Aparna's blog.

I made it in my standmixer with the dough hook, because I have painfull hands lately (apparently it's arthrosis in my thumbs) and unfortunately it's getting worse quickly. Next week I'll start on some medication, hopefully that'll tune the pain down a little. We'll see, but it's impossible for me to knead by hand and even though it's a small recipe it worked quite well with the doughhook in my standmixer.

If you like pizza, or bread with cheese..... this is the one for you to bake! Quick and easy and delicious too. So knead, bake and post about it (deadline 29th of this month), let Aparna know how it turned out and become our Bread Baking Buddy. Check out her post on the how and where to send it. Have fun baking!!

Adjaruli Khachapuri
(A Boat Shaped Georgian Cheese Bread, makes 2)
(PRINT recipe)
Dough:
1 tsp instant yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
145 g milk
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 egg (small or half a large egg)
245 g flour, plus more for dusting
½ tsp salt

Filling:
125 g grated/shredded Mozzarella (don't use the buffalo kind, that's too wet)
125 g crumbled feta cheese (and a little bit Dutch cheese that was a left over)
a pinch of dried oregano and black pepper
topping of choice  - I used  sliced tomatoes

Put all the ingredients for the dough into the mixing bowl of the standmixerl and knead together until everything comes together into a smooth and somewhat loose elastic dough that’s just short of sticky. Transfer the ball of dough to a well-oiled bowl, turning it so it is coated all over. Loosely cover and let it rise till double in volume – about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Place a pizza stone, or a baking sheet on a rack in lower third of oven. 

Preheat oven to 250ºC.

Combine the cheeses in a bowl and  set aside. Deflate the dough and divide it into two halves. Working with one piece at a time,  roll it out to a rectangle about 25 cm long and 3 mm thick on a piece of lightly floured parchment.  This makes it easier to transfer the dough to your baking sheet.

Roll the long sides in a bit curving them inwards at the ends and seal well (with a little water) or the edges will open up during baking. Then bring the edges close and pinch together on both ends to form a “boat” like shape.
Again, make sure the ends are sealed well. Transfer the “boats” to the baking sheet, but if you’re going to bake them directly on the pizza stone just omit this step.

Fill the centre “well” area with half of the cheese mixture so it is a little higher than the edges of the dough “boat”. Repeat with the other half of dough and  bake them for about 12 to 15 minutes until the Khachapuri are golden brown. Take the breads out of the oven and add the sliced tomatoes and return them to the oven. Bake for another 3 to 4 minutes.

Take the Adjaruli Khachapuri out, and serve them hot. It helps to wait for about 10 minutes before eating them so you don’t burn your mouth!




7 comments:

Karen said...

I went with the tomatoes too and thought they were delicious on the cheese. Yours looks amazing! Hope your hands feel better after the meds =(

Elizabeth said...

I too was amazed at how easy this was to make.

Your boats look perfect!! If we ever see decent tomatoes again, I'll have to try adding them. They look so beautiful.

Karen Baking Soda said...

It was incredibly easy to make and fun! I will try the egg plus tomatoes!

That is awful about your hands! I really hope the medication kicks in.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

You know I'm going to be dreaming about these little breads with tomatoes until tomatoes are back in season here. Your breads are always so perfect, color, shape everything.
It is wonderful to find these are so easy to do. I baked twice just because it is simple to put together and it's just fun.

Heather S-G said...

Oh my gosh, yours looks so good. That cheese mixture looks perfect. I think I'll add tomatoes to mine next time, too (with the egg).

Katie Zeller said...

Thick crust pizza! I love it. I always use sliced tomatoes rather than sauce when I make pizza. I would have added the egg, too ;-)

Aparna said...

YOur boats look beautiful, Lien. This cheese-tomato combo is my all time favourite too.