Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Bread Baking Babes: Bread and wine




A lovely bread is on the menu this month. Astrid ("Paulchens  foodblog?!") picked a wonderful bread for us with wine in it. I must admit I cheated a little because I didn't use sourdough, but I made the bread with a poolish. I didn't have a sour friend in my fridge nor the time to make one in time. I hope you don't mind Astrid. While I'm confessing anyway, I didn't use Riesling wine as I didn't have that handy, but I used prosecco. I can tell you this bread takes some time (even with the poolish) but is utterly delicious. That crumb is so good; airy, light, fluffy, moist but not wet, wow me and the kids just loved it. And it stayed soft and delicious for several days. The kids tend to eat more cereal in their holidays, so half of the bread was kind of forgotten for a day or two. It was as good as on the first day.

If you're a party pooper like me and want to make this delicious bread with a poolish; I've added the instructions below the original recipe. But of course you can make it with sourdough as it's supposed to. Bake, post and send it over to Astrids, so she can put all Rheinbrote baked by our Bread Baking Buddies together. Deadline 29th of this month.


Rheinbrot
(makes one large loaf)
 (PRINT recipe)
Sponge:
50 gram semisweet Riesling
50 gram boiled water, at room temperature
100 gram flour
50 gram of wheat sourdough at 100% hydration

Dough
250 gram flour
135 gram water
6 gram salt

1) Mix wine with water and add the sourdough, whisk thoroughly.
2) Add flour and mix again.
3) The dough ferments at 2 stages:
3a) 4 hours at a temperature 30-32°C, it should grow at least twice its size, will be lumpy looking at this stage and have larger and smaller bubbles. If you stick your nose into the container, the scent will be somewhat unpleasant, it may even seem that the dough has deteriorated. Don't panic, this only means the dough is doing the right things ;o)
3b) Pour the sponge in a bowl and whisk thoroughly to remove all the gas out of it and fill it with oxygen. Cover with foil and let sit for 10-12 hours (overnight) at room temperature. Dough will rise again in half and very often shows smaller bubbles.
4) Now the sponge is ready for kneading: pour in the water and stir until smooth. Add the flour, mix well and give the autolysis a chance to do it's magic for 40-50 minutes.
5) add the salt and quickly knead the dough, if it is too sticky add a little four, but be careful not to add too much.
6) Let ferment for 2-2.5 hours. Fold twice after 1 hour and 1 1/2 hour. The dough smells fresh now, no smell of the wine.
7) Form a loaf and let proof in a basket for 1 1/2 hours (doubles in size) covered with a towel in a draft free place.
8) Preheat oven to 240°C.
9) Transfer dough to your baking sheet. Make an incision or two and let it slide on your baking stone.
10) Bake for 10 minutes with steam and without steam like 20 minutes at 200°C.
11) Let cool down for alt least half an hour before slicing the bread.

My notes: I didn't use a sourdough but a poolish:
poolish
75 g sweet white wine (I used prosecco)
75 g water
150 g bread flour
1/4 tsp dry yeast
I left this stand (covered) overnight for approx. 16 hours.
I continued with the recipe as above and added another 1/4 tsp yeast in the dough. At the end of the process I just let the bread rise in its basket until doubled without watching the clock.

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Your bread looks beautiful!! I especially like the look of the crumb. And the crust. :-)

I did pretty much the same as you, Lien. But I can't imagine that this bread could be much better if made with an actual sourdough.

Katie Zeller said...

Gorgeous bread - and the best part is finishing of the wine with it - well, not for breakfast and not the kids LOL

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

BEAUTIFUL !!!
Wish I could have baked this one. I'm going out on the limb and promising I'll bake next month's bread.

Elle said...

Am going to try to make this by the Buddy date...yours looks so very good, especially the crust Lien. Will do the polish as you did, but with Riesling since I have some.

Karen Baking Soda said...

I am such a party pooper! I think your using a poolish is just a great idea! The loaf looks wonderful!

Claire said...

Your 'Prosecco Pane' looks beautiful! I do love a proper white bread every once in a while ...

QembarDelites said...

I think this loaf of bread looks wonderful with very nice open crumbs which I love! When you mentioned you added another 1/4 tsp what is the ingredient?

Lien said...

Sorry Jeannie, I meant 1/4 tsp dry yeast (I changed that, thanks)