Saturday, January 7, 2012

Mellow Bakers in December (too late.. oops)

I can't believe I forgot to post this.. then again, I can believe it, these last weeks of the year are just to busy I guess. Anyway beter late than never as they say, so here are the Decemer breads for the Mellow Bakers Challenge.

66 percent sourdough rye. Even though I'm not a sourdough or a rya fan, this is a really good bread. I had to use less water than the recipe stated. As usual I had to mix my own 'medium rye flour' as I can't buy that here. I mix half whole rye flour and half white rye flour in the hope that this is close to the 'medium rye flour' used the the States.

Sourdough seed bread.  This is just such a good looking bread. Light and airy with those little specks of seeds everywhere. I added pinch of yeast in this one as my starter wasn't as fierce as before and I like it that it mildens the sour taste

And the last of the December breads is the un-kneaded, six-fold french bread. It's nice bread, not the best baguette ever, but good. Personally I don't see the point in a no-knead bread, that need so much attention folding it every half hour 6 times.  Folding is a great technic to strengthen a dough, especially very wet doughs that are hard to handle. But kneading a baguette and retarding it in the overnight (in the fridge) seems like an easier option to me.

Next time I'll show off the breads for the last time in the Mellow Bakers baking their way through the Jeffrey Hamelman book "Bread". You won't have to wait long as these will be the January breads!

3 comments:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

1. I don't believe bread is ever too late.

2. I've never gotten the no knead thing either.

NKP said...

Yay! Beautiful breads. Pass the butter!
I can't believe we are almost finished baking through this book. What a delicious odyssey it has been!

Karen Baking Soda said...

Gorgeous breads Lien! Can't remember when, it's so long since I baked french bread!

Agreed on the no-knead thing! (coming from someone who bought a no-knead book in the US... from all the books I could chose from I bought this! Boy oh boy!